My DJ

Play this. I am pretty much positive that the latest show is good. Updated a lot.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Nothing Compares to This.

Nothing Compares 2 U (cover) live

I was watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night, a movie that I wasn't into at first but has grown on me considerably. At one point the main character is at home lamenting his lost love to the tune "Nothing Compares to You", a song that was originally by Prince, but was covered by Sinead O'Connor. I remember blasting her cover, much like the character in the movie, after being broke up with by my first love. I locked myself in my room and wallowed for hours in pure adolescent misery. I opened my ground floor window in Greenwich village so the whole block would now that nothing compared to her. At the end of the film there is a great Hawaiian cover of the song which I fell immediately in love with, both because of it's comedic awkwardness, and also for the fact that the song is great.

Then oddly enough, this morning on KCRW, as I drove east on Venice Blvd, Jason Bentley puts this new cover of the song on. I thought to call my girlfriend so we could have a laugh about the coincidence, but was beaten to the punch by her call to say the same thing. We were both listening to the same song on the same station. It was a good moment.

No comments: