My DJ

Play this. I am pretty much positive that the latest show is good. Updated a lot.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Lucid dreams and faulty super powers

I have some pretty incredible dreams. i always have. i chalk that up to my wild imagination. since childhood i have always been able to withdraw to my daydreams. i love knowing i am in complete control, which happens a lot to me in sleep as well. i am always having lucid dreams, where i am aware of my dream state and proceed to turn dungeon master as well as main character.

often my dreams have the tendencies of a storyline, with a purpose and a well laid out environment. like imagined cities and worlds. sometimes they are fragmented and often cross reference themselves, and occasionally they even taunt me.

the dream i had the other night had all of these tendencies. A purpose, a well laid out map, a lucid moment, and then taunting. It started with me in a large wooden castle, with large halls and a huge arts and crafts fair. there was an announcement that the land needed people to sign up for the navy because there was a submarine out in the ocean that needed to be nuked. the nukes were small and could be fired by a bazooka like gun, over the shoulder.

so, OF COURSE i volunteered. the next thing i remember is that i met my platoon Sargeant, or whatever you would call it in the navy. he looked kind of like Louis Gossett Jr. when he was the drill sarge in an Officer and a Gentleman but was bearded, another skill i have. creating random characters that i have never met. he turned out to be very nice and said that he knew i was just a regular citizen and that he would go easy on me if i listened and did my job. i liked him and wanted to stay on his good side, so when he ordered me to go get my uniform and gun i immediately ran down some stairs to go to the place where uniforms were handed out.

suddenly i realized i didn't actually know where that place was in the castle. so there i was asking all these old arts and crafts ladies where i could find the uniforms. every lady i asked told me something different and i ended up running all over the labyrinthine castle to no avail. it was getting more and more frustrating, then i heard over some loudspeaker that the mission had already left for the ocean.

it was at that moment that i realized i was dreaming. so, what usually happens when i realize that, is I suddenly conjure up super powers. any kind of power i want. my frustration with the lady who was currently giving me bunk directions made me lose my temper. i remember yelling something like, "i don't need this shit! i am LATE!". i then raised my hands at the roof and just willed the entire castle to explode up. the roof and most of the walls blew out into a million splinters and everybody was running around covering their heads.

then i flew up into the newly revealed blue sky and arched out over the ocean. i flew for a while at incredible speeds, dipping low down to ocean surface and running my fingers over the tips of the large dark waves. my control over things was complete at that moment. i was playing god, or superman, or better yet, Northstar from Marvel's Alpha Flight. he could fly super fast. his only flaw was that he was canadian.

i spot the battle ship off in the distance approaching fast. you know, the one that i was supposed to be on but missed. there, i find a bunch of my friends and the sarge fumbling with the nukes and not being able to load them into the bazooka. so again, i knew that it was time for the super powers.

i said "stand back, i'll take care of it." much like a superhero would, all proper and what not. i flew up again and further north. over some icebergs and an ice shelf. i looked down to find the submarine but realized that the water was really dark and looked really cold. that's when my dream started to taunt me. commonly, when i am in super power lucid mode, i get cocky. it's like i am dealing with the greek idea of hubris, and wont let that behavior stand. or maybe i just lose confidence in the fact that i am dreaming.

i start to show off for my friends. that's when the powers start puttering. the best part about that, is its never a complete shutting down. its like i can only do barely cool things, often flying ability becomes the ability to just float up about a foot and hover. or my ability to smash things with my mind becomes more like the ability to tap on them and make them rock in place a bit. something anybody could do with their hand.

in this dream i started to lose my flight. getting lower and lower to the cold dark water. it was scary, but mostly annoying because i knew my friends were watching. then i got fed up and just decided to end the dream. fucking super powers. never there when you need them.

No comments: