My DJ

Play this. I am pretty much positive that the latest show is good. Updated a lot.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hip Hop is dead, or dying

I remember getting home after school, grabbing some twinkies from the deli on the corner, and making it to the tv just in time for Video Music Box and YO! MTV Raps. back when hip hop was at its peak. new york was at its livest. Stretch Armstrong locked down thursday nights. Red Alert on KISS FM and Mister Cee on WBLS, had the weekends, house music locked down the early AM hours. HOT 97 was wack asss freestyle duets. lets keep it real now. One guy who is still banging em out is my man Jay Smooth originally from WBAI. he was DJing back when we were in the same classes in High School.

I kind of tried being a VJ by taking over the Video Jukebox from my phone at my doorman desk. i would call in sets of my favorite rap videos all night long. it was interactive tv before the internet. it was pure dopeness. video jukebox was a local call in video system. since all the young callers uptown were into hip hop it basically became a homegrown rap video show.

here's to freestyle hip hop. where'd did it all go?! i define this clip as being the final throes. it was downhill from this moment on. at the end of the clip when Ed Lover and Doctor Dre say the obligatory "we will be right back", well that time, they didn't come back.

No comments: