My DJ

Play this. I am pretty much positive that the latest show is good. Updated a lot.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I saw a truck tear it's roof off on a low bridge

This happened last December. i found this email i wrote and thought i would share:

So i am bopping along on the ol' Henry Hudson, making good time this morning, and listening to some xmas music on the radio. I notice a short but rather tall and boxy truck passing me in the left lane. besides the fact that the truck was not holding the turn very well, and driving pretty fast, something about the sight doesn't sit well with me. i decide to ease up quickly on the gas. He passes quickly, and as i am looking at the back of the truck getting smaller ahead of me, i realize whats wrong with the picture. i NEVER see trucks on the Henry Hudson. what I do see, and have considered in my meandering thoughts, while i commute, is that some of the overhead bridges have large signs that read "CAUTION 9'3" CLEARANCE". I wonder to myself if the truck i am looking at is under 9 feet and i think to myself that we will find out in a second.

so sure enough, almost concurrent with my realization, there is a HUGE thunderous impact as the top of the truck peels back its roof like a can of sardines, and an explosion of twisted metal erupts from under a stone bridge that has stood there, motionless and stalwart, for probably a century or more. amazingly, the truck which is now roofless, manages to make it through the underpass without imploding or getting flipped. everybody, including me comes to a stunned stop right before the bridge and just stares, open mouthed at the scene. there was debris everywhere like a bomb had gone off.

the trucker jumps out of the cab and immediately gets on his cellphone without checking to see if he has all of his limbs, or even to see if the truck is still in one piece, which it is very much NOT. there's really no lesson to be learned here, unless you're a trucker in the area of the bronx/yonkers, except maybe that if it seems to good to be true, it probably IS too good to be true.

P.S. there was also a bad accident on the Saw Mill, right after that scene, unrelated, but very ugly and it happened maybe minutes later, when i passed that scene the drivers were still shaking there heads in their mangled little cars, which were facing in various degrees, neither of which were remotely forward. it was quite an eye opening commute. on a dry sunny day, no less.

No comments: